Tuesday, May 22, 2007

 

Spam generators

Another depressing sign of how spam works: typo-squatting* is big business.

Personally, if want to go to flickr and end up somewhere else I don't think to myself "Oooo, I wonder if there's anything cool to buy on this strange site?!" and start clicking everything. Instead, I immediately get out of there as fast as I can.

Plus, with so many of this kind of site out there, if I'm looking for a car I'm never going to type in cars.com in the address bar, I'd google use the Google® Intarwebs Searching Machine™ to search for "cars" (well, more likely Mustang or Ranger).

But apparently the 0.00001% of people out there that are silly enough to click on anything they see in a browser window or email make spam profitable enough that people just won't give it up, sigh.

Oh and speaking of searching, I always have to chuckle about the people that search for web sites by name rather than just typing it in the address bar and using CTRL-ENTER to have the browser fill in the http://www. .com parts. The best is people searching for yahoo at google and vice versa.






*registering domain names that are mis-spellings or mis-typings of big web sites, for example flicker.com instead of flickr.com

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?